Friday, August 8, 2014

Fitness Friday: What's in my Gym Bag



I’m pretty lucky that I only live a 5 minute walk away from my gym. It means I don’t have to make an effort to schedule in time to go, and I don’t have to rely on showering there (really, I don’t think I can express how happy this makes me… gym showers can be so gross). It also means I don’t actually need to pack that much stuff with me in my gym bag. So I literally only carry the essentials with me.


Let’s discuss gym equipment… a towel is an absolute must to bring. There is nothing more disgusting than going to a bench to see that it’s covered in someone else’s sweat. Most gyms (if not all) have disinfectant wipes around that you can use to wipe the benches and machines down with, but it’s still pretty gross to have to clean up after other people. So, bottom line: don’t make other people need to clean up after you and use a damn towel. I bought mine at Rebel Sport. There’s not really much to gym towels… I love mine because it’s microfibre so it soaks up moisture, and it’s got a few different pockets. There’s a “sleeve” at one end, so you slip that over the end of the bench and your towel won’t slip out from under you! The last thing you want to be thinking about when pumping out that last set on the bench press is that your towel is wriggling around under you. This particular one also has a zip pocket, which is handy. I tend to keep a ventolin in there, and my gym pass. That way I don’t forget about them, they follow me around the gym and I don’t have to carry them.

Gloves. This is really a matter of personal preference. On a really hot day I might wear gloves if my hands are sweaty, which alleviates any concern that I might drop the bar. This pair has a leather palm, so that bar is not going anywhere once you pick it up. I have pretty calloused hands from pole, so I find bar work a little easier in that department than other people might. Again, I just picked mine up from Rebel Sport.

Plantronics Bluetooth Headphones. After a towel, these things are my absolute cannot go to the gym without product. Basically, they are bluetooth headphones, that you wear around your neck. It means no cords, no wires to get tangled up in. The best part is that you don’t need to worry about whether your gym clothes have pockets to fit your phone or music player in. If your clothes do have pockets…let’s be real here – it’s a lot more comfortable to not have them weighted down. These have a really long battery life, and they’re really easy to charge. 10/10 definitely recommend.


I have a whole post coming up soon about my Workout Journal. Basically, I use this to keep track of my workout, how I felt after the workout (i.e. whether DOMS was an issue or not) etc etc. I just use a cute ruled notebook because it’s easy. The ring binding means I can shove a pen in the spine, and can bend it backwards and have it laying flat. I may get funny looks from some of the bros at the gym, but I prefer to track my gainz this way.


I really don’t bring many beauty products with me, because I live so close that it’s not really necessary. Over time though, I’ve found these particular products a must have:
Make-Up Wipes: Sometimes I’ll get home from work or uni, get dressed, grab my gym bag and head straight out the door. I completely forget to take my make-up off, and it’s kind of a non-negotiable for me to work out without make-up on. (I just find it really gross) So I’ve gotten into the habit of keeping some wipes stashed for those moments. I've tried so many brands and types of wipes, and I can’t help but keep coming back to Biore. These wipes are textured, so offer a slight manual exfoliation, and I just find they’re really effective at getting most of my make-up off. They remove most of my eye-makeup without smudging it. They never get all my make-up off, but they do get off the vast majority of it.

School Foot Anti-Perspirant*: Feet are not really a topic that people like talking about - which I think it kind of sad, because they carry you around everywhere, and they deserve a little love too. One of the most common foot problems at the gym is stinky feet. Gym shoes can get hot and humid because you're doing a lot of sweating, and this leads to bacteria growing that stink your shoes out. I have found that a combination of foot anti-perspirant, cotton socks and making sure I air my shoes out quickly takes care of the problem. This antiperspirant for your feet is a powder spray - so it's quick drying, and it helps prevent perspiration and consequently, stinky feet. This product has a slight soapy scent to it, but it dissipates quickly. I find I get the best use from it if I spray my feet, wait a couple of minutes, then put my socks and shoes on.

Rexona deodorant: This clinical protection anti-perspirant basically stops you sweating. This is a cream deodorant that you twist up through the holes and it squeezes out like vegemite pushed into a cracker. You're supposed to put this one on at night, sleep with it and then you're good to go in the morning. I just keep it in my gym bag and use it like normal and it still works fine.

What do you keep in your gym bag?

(Products marked with an * were sent to me for editorial consideration. All opinions are my own - check out my disclaimer for further details)

post signature

Twitter | Youtube | Instagram | Pinterest | Hellocotton | Bloglovin
SHARE:
© Where is my mind?. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig