Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Jury Duty!

Today I performed my civil duty, and turned up to the Downing Centre in Sydney for jury duty.
The summons letter states you should dress smart-casually, so I went with this:

Skirt = JAY JAYS (like, 4 years old)
Blazer = ASOS
T-shirt = SABA
Handbag = JAG
Acorn Necklace = birthday present !

So, I wasn't empanelled, but I thought I'd share my experience of the day anyway, in case anyone has any questions, or you get summoned yourself and want to know what to expect!

Just a quick note though, I am in NSW, and it is my understanding that the experience differs slightly from state to state. 

SO! Once arriving at the court and going through security and all that, they ask for your panel number (I was panel G), and direct you to a courtroom. 
Once there, someone checks your summons letter and some ID. We lined up for a bit, and then when we got to the front the lady told us how long our trial was expected to run for. 
On the summons letter, it stated my trial was expected to run for 2 weeks. The lady asked if I had a problem with doing a 4 week trial. As you probably know (because I keep talking about it!) I have flights to Bali booked in Feb, so 4 weeks is pretty much out of the question. I wrote this down on the back of my form, and stated I was quite happy to do a shorter trial. 

After they got through everyone (There was about 30ish people in my panel? Maybe more?), the lady ran us through what to expect for the day. 
We then headed downstairs to the jury waiting room. Which is basically a room with water, tea and coffee and lots of chairs. 
At this point, I was SO GLAD that I brought my book, because there was a lot of waiting around. My juror number was called, and I had to go to the front and speak to someone else about my request for a shorter trial.  I was advised I was put in the pool for the 1 week trial. Cool. 

More waiting around. 

Finish my book, and start getting slightly impatient. 

Then, our panel number is called up over the speaker. The lady said that sometimes cases get postponed or don't go ahead or whatever, and for that reason sometimes potential jurors are not needed. "So Panel G, you are dismissed for the day, thank-you for your jury service. Don't feel disappointed, because it is still so important that you have shown up today. Expect your travel cheque in the mail next week, and you won't be called for another 12 months. Thanks"

ARGH HELLO!!? ANTI-CLIMATIC!!
I was pretty disappointed I didn't get to serve, I won't lie. 

But on the plus side, I did get to finish the book I was reading: 

This book is the sequel to the Bronze Horsemen. 

LOVED IT!!
AND I highllllllly recommend it to anyone who likes reading. 
After I finish the pile of books by my bed, I will be buying the next in the series. 



SHARE:
© Where is my mind?. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig