Saturday, October 26, 2013

October Skincare Routine

It's been just over 6 months since my last skincare routine post. I've been using some new products lately, so thought I'd update you all on how that's going. At the moment my skin is looking better than it ever has, and there's definitely a few products that take responsibility for that.


For the most part this is a simple outline of my routine:
Morning: Wash, Pat Dry, Moisturiser, Sunscreen.
Night Time: First cleanse, eye make up removal, second cleanse, exfoliate, toner, treatment and serum


First Cleanse + Eye Make-Up Removal
For about a year now I have been using oils as a first cleanse, to remove all the make up from my face. Oil based cleansers are fantastic, regardless of your skin type because they are non-abrasive and do all the hard work for you. Like attracts like...so basically what is happening here is that all the make-up, dirt and grime that is on your face is being melted away. So I rub a little bit onto dry hands, massage it into my face, and then emulsify it with warm water. I've spoken before about Dermalogica's Precleanse here and here. In the last couple of months, I've been using Dr Lewinn's 4 Fusion Cleansing Oil, and I think I like this one better. I actually think it might be considered HG status-worthy. So it's got rosehip oil, argan oil and tamanu oil in it, with no mineral oils or soap; so great for sensitive skin. It's cleansing whilst also being nourishing.
Only thing is, I hate the packaging. I have no idea why, but it leaks out the top like a motherlover and gets my bathroom cupboard and sink all slimy, not to mention it wastes product. Apart from that; only good things to say!
I do go over my eyes gently with the oil to remove my eye make up, and whilst I get most of it off, I'm usually left with dark smudges all around my face. I soak a cotton pad in Loreal Gentle Eye Make-Up Remover and gently wipe away that excess.



Second Cleansing
This actually hasn't changed since my last skincare routine. I'm still loving Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel with my Clarisonic. The SCG is a gentle gel cleanser that works for all skin types, and has a really good lather to it, without containing soaps. I love how clean this leaves my face without drying it out. I've done a couple of in-depth reviews on the Clarisonic; here and here, if you want to read more about it and what I think. Put shortly, I love it. I use the deep pore cleansing attachment head.


Exfoliator
I've recently added Dermalogica Daily Resurfacer to my skincare arsenal and oh my... this product is DEFINITELY holy grail. I was having a bit of a problem with particualrly bad breakouts on my chin, so I headed into the Dermalogica store in the QVB and begged them for help. After a quick skincare consultation, the sales assistant told me I wasn't exfoliating enough, and recommended this one to me. This is a daily leave-on exfoliating treatment that also brightens and tones the skin. From the very first use I could tell a difference in my skin, and with regular use absolutely I can tell a difference. My breakouts are minimal, and the overall condition of my skin is better. This is a gentle chemical exfoliant. It comes in a pouch that has a measured dose with a little finger puppet to apply it to your face. The only downside to this product is that it is quite expensive. So to make it go that little further I only use one side of each finger puppet each night, before sealing it back into a baggy, and using the other side the next night. So I get two uses out of each one "dose".



About once a fortnight I also use Organi Organic Honey Peel. I think what I love most about this product (apart from the fact that it actually works), is that once you massage it into your skin you can start to see little balls of dead skin being rubbed away from your face. Disgusting, yes. Satisfying? Even more so. I have noticed though, that since using the daily resurfacer from Dermalogica, I have less dead skin to be sloughed away. So definite bonus. This is also one of those products that you can tell works from the first use; which is fantastic because i am incredibly impatient. It's an enzymatic cleanser, so there's no harsh beads scrubbing away and scratching your skin up, and the main ingredient is manuka honey, which has anti-bacterial properties.
I did buy this from one of those Organi stands where the salespeople call out to you. It is retailed at $160, but I showed interest, yet hesitation at purchasing it at this price and I got it for $65. Much more reasonable.


Moisturiser + Serum

If my face is feeling a little tight after exfoliating, I'll apply a few sprays of Sukin Hydrating Mist Toner. I've talked so much about this one before, I absolutely love it for a refreshing spray.
In the morning I've been using Palmer's Cocoa Butter Daily Calming Facial Lotion right before my sunscreen and I love this because it's lightweight, and sinks in quickly and easily.
I've recently added Loccitane Essence Sublime serum to my night-time routine. This product claims to reduce redness, make pores appear smaller, and improve your skins texture. I fell in love with this product from the first time I used it! My skin is remarkably less red, my skin-tone has vastly improved and I have noticed the pores on my nose appear smaller. I also love the way this serum smells, and I love the packaging. The bottle is incredibly sturdy, and the cap lid locks, making it perfect for travel.


Acne Treatment & Eye Cream

For clearing up those stubborn pimples, I've been using Clearasil Acne Treatment Cream. This cream has benzoyl peroxide and bentonite as its active ingredients, so it can be quite drying. I apply only to the affected area, and so far have found it's done a pretty good job of either significantly reducing the pimple or getting rid of it completely. 

I've been using The Body Shop Aloe Eye Defence lately as an eye cream, and tbh I'm not quite sure how I feel about this product. It does decrease swelling without irritating the delicate eye area, but I don't find it that moisturising, so perhaps this isn't the best eye cream for me. It's also not that great at reducing purple sleep-deprived dark circles. So it's okay, nothing amazing. I'll use it all up but will probably move on to something more hydrating afterwards. 

Do any of these products appear in your skincare regime? Do you have any HG products I need to know about?

post signature

Twitter | Youtube | Instagram | Pinterest | Bloglovin
SHARE:
© Where is my mind?. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig