Saturday, July 5, 2014

Fitness Friday: 8 Health Q&A's

I saw this post on Natalie's blog. She adapted the questions from a Vogue interview with Lorna Jane, and I really enjoyed reading her own take on it. If you are a long-time reader, you'll know I love these types of posts, so I thought this would be great to do myself!


What is the first thing you do in the morning? Put the kettle on for coffee! While it's boiling, I go to the bathroom, and brush my hair. I'll turn the TV on to ABC News, and catch up on what happened overnight. I don't have breakfast every morning, but I have been making an effort to. So while I'm waiting for the kettle, I'll either pour myself a bowl of muesli, or have some porridge which I've been loving in this cooler weather. I then head back into the living room and set myself up in front of the mirror to do my make-up. All while drinking my coffee, eating my breakfast (if I'm having it) and watching the news. I then get dressed and I'm out the door.

What is your exercise routine? I love exercising, and try to get in at least some movement every day. I make an effort to stretch every night after my shower, that way even if I can't get to the gym, or am too busy to work out at home I still am doing something. Every Monday night I have pole. I try to get in at least one extra pole session each week, although this is sometimes tricky if I'm working lots and busy with uni. I do at least three weight sessions at the gym each week; legs, shoulders and back, shoulders and arms. If I can, I will go four times a week, and try to get in a power circuit as well. I do a bit of cardio for my warm up. Like Nat, I also set little challenges for myself. At the moment I'm working on dead-hang pull ups (palms away), and I'm always working towards increasing my weight loads. 


What is your philosophy towards nutrition? I'm going to steal Natalie's answer, because hers is perfect: "Practice common sense and look to your healthy relatives and especially grandparents." I eat the foods I enjoy, and I eat when I'm hungry. I've had so many issues with food and eating in the past, that I really just try to focus on listening to what my body wants. J cooks dinner, and he's pretty good at making sure we get variety in terms of meat and veg. 

What does your typical daily diet include? Like I mentioned, I try to make an effort for breakfast every day, but this doesn't always happen. For lunch, I try to always bring it with me. That way, I know what I'm eating in advance, and I save money. Usually I'll bring leftovers, or I'll make a big pot of (sustainably fished) tuna pasta or salad on Sunday for the week. I also bring a piece of fruit, some cheese, and nuts for snacking on. Like I mentioned, J cooks dinner. We are pretty boring in that we tend to always go "meat and 3 veg". We usually buy whatever meat is on sale during the week, and then pick our meals around that. When putting together dinner we make sure there's plenty of colour and a balance of veg. 
That's it! Nothing too rigorous. We tend to veer towards more 'paleo' type eating, but we're hardly strict with it. We eat a lot of protein, and always try to switch out for 'healthier' options when we can. For instance, if having a salad, we'll use baby spinach leaves instead of lettuce. 

You have five minutes to make a nutritious meal – what do you do?
That's not a lot of time, is it!? Probably a salad...would you have time to cook? So probably a salad with baby spinach, tuna, cherry tomatoes, boiled egg, cheese, some veg...maybe pumpkin?
All this stuff would be pre-cooked of course hahaha. Now my stomach is growling...

What is your favourite recipe?
I don't really cook, so I don't really have a favourite recipe! So I guess, I love recipes that are easy to follow?
How do you keep your health in check when travelling? 
I am terrible at this, and I think this week just proves it. Wheat really messes up my digestion, and when I'm at home I'm pretty good at avoiding it. But this week, we were given morning tea every day, which was mostly pastries, and because I'm poor and can't afford lunch I mostly stocked up on them. I've really been feeling the consequences of those poor decisions the past day and a bit. I do try to get exercise in still, so I'll walk around a lot or at least keep up with stretching. 

What is your favourite restaurant dish? 

Depends where we're going! I love eating dishes that I normally wouldn't eat at home. I love a good pork belly, ribs...J doesn't really cook much lamb at home, so I will also go for that if I'm out as well. I just love well-cooked meat haha.

What are your tips for keeping healthy while travelling?
SHARE:
© Where is my mind?. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig