Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Book Review: The Vogue Factor by Kirstie Clements


Not too long ago I was browsing Dymocks on my lunch break and came across this book. I remember it coming out and people talking about it after it was first published, but hadn't heard much about it since then. I love Vogue, and have always had a deep respect for Kirstie Clements so thought I'd give it a read. 

Clements is a fantastic writer, and tells analogies so well I felt I had to keep reading. The book is an easy, (mostly) light-hearted read and I finished it in about a week and a half. 

The book begins with a prelude and comments on the well-publicised, unceremonious sacking of Clements from the editor role at Vogue Australia. In one of the most memorable quotes from the book Clements remarks that "[h]ow you conduct yourself on the way out is more important than how you went in". And, staying true to this, if you are looking to read this to catch up on what happened, or hoping for any dirty goss on those in the magazine and fashion industry, then you will be disappointed. Not a bad word is spoken about anyone (except for maybe Nicole Kidman), and when someone is given a less than favourable review, they are not named.  

From there, the first chapter details Clements' first job as a receptionist at Vogue, and how by taking initiative, less than six months later, she was away from that front desk and working as an assistant in Vogue promotions. To be honest, I thought the book would be more about Clements' rise to editorship, and the inner-workings of Vogue Australia magazine. The book's byline "From Front Desk to Editor" certainly led me to think so. 

Rather, the book was more about the fantastic job opportunities Vogue afforded the team, although Clements makes a point (several times) that it is actually hard work running a magazine, despite all the perks everyone thinks they receive. It was moments like this in the book that weren't that great to read, as they seemed overly defensive. The constant name-dropping also got very tired by the end of the book. I can completely understand that Clements is proud of what she has achieved (and she has every right to be!) but the name dropping was excessive, and most of the time didn't add much to the story except to reiterate the amazing lifestyle a Vogue editor has. That being said, the chapters where Clements discusses getting Karl Lagerfeld to guest edit the December 2003 issue, and her interview with Princess Mary of Denmark were my favourites. They were so filled with imagery, excitement, and so well-written that any fashion lover will devour them. 

I was disappointed there was only one mere mention of her twin boys: their birth. I was really hoping Clements would discuss more about being a working mother (and one in such a senior role). 

There is a chapter where she addresses the controversy of "too-thin" models, and I remember this chapter getting plenty of attention when the book first came out. This chapter was also one of the better ones in the book; it was refreshing to finally hear someone in the industry admit to what was really going on. However, the cynic in me can't help but be irritated she didn't speak out when she was actually in her role as editor, when perhaps her admissions and opinion could have done more. 

Overall, I did really enjoy this book and I think anyone who loves or reads fashion magazines will also enjoy it. Rating: 3/5


post signature

Twitter | Youtube | Instagram | Pinterest | Bloglovin
SHARE:
© Where is my mind?. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig