Thursday, February 20, 2014

Guest Post: 10 Life Lessons We Can Learn From Our Dogs


Today's post comes to you from Teena!!

Hey I’m Teena Cathey the personal personal trainer. When I’m not with a client I’m either painting, running away from my chihuahua Mister or dogging globs of slob from my nephew Jae.  If you want more health and fitness tips like this follow me on Twitter @teenacathey and check out my website http://teenacathey.com/.

 photo image_zpsfaf6ecc4.jpg
  1. We Can't Always Have Our Way - Doesn’t it just irritate you sometimes when you don’t get your way? My dog (Mister) used to get an attitude when he couldn’t get his way. He’d throw his toy at me. What’s the point, forcing someone to see or do things your way doesn’t help.
  1. Following  Directions Has Rewards - When my dog listens and follows directions he gets a treat. When we follow directions well it can lead to a promotion, or simply keep us out of trouble.
  1. Be Patient- For many this is easier said then done. My dog (Mister) used to rush me when getting his food. He would bark, jump around in circles and just be so annoying about it. But it didn’t make me move any faster. We have to realize that being in a rush doesn’t make time move faster. Rushing and not being patient makes us anxious and flustered. Who wants to live like this? Try taking your time.
  1. Appreciate What We Have-Are you dissatisfied with what you currently have? Well we have to try try looking at it from another angle. Instead of what you lack or don’t have look at what you have. You’ll be so much happier.
  1. Imagination Is Wonderful- Our dogs will roll around with its toy as if it’s alive. He does this all the time. Just because we aren’t five anymore doesn’t mean we have to stop using our imagination and creative senses. We should use our imagination with work, our ideal lifestyle and other...adult things.  Having an imagination only makes things more fun and interesting.
  1. Sleep Is Necessary- I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen my dog lay down and nap as if he worked a double shift. But this gives him bursts of energy to play 10 times harder than he did before he took his nap.  Sleep is necessary to recharge the body and brain. We should follow suit and try to get as much as we can. It’s recommended we get 7-8 hours. But honestly I get from 4-6, because that fits my lifestyle. Get in where you fit in.
  1. You Don’t Need Money To Have Fun- Mister sleeps like he works double shifts, but that fur ball is not bringing home the bacon, he eats it. But he’s always so happy. And you can be happy too. Try doing things you enjoy, it can be something like catching up on your favorite show. Learning a new skill. Or attend a free event. Sitting around waiting for money to enjoy yourself and have fun is not living. Money comes and it goes, that shouldn’t stop you from living life.
  1. Show Love No Matter What (forgive and forget)- Mister just got in trouble. Seriously, he’s sitting in the cage as I write. But when I take him out the cage he’ll jump up on me, try to lick my face and wag his tail so hard his entire body moves. When someone hurts your feelings or does something mean, forgive them and move on. Not saying you have to be filled with joy every time your paths cross.Just show love, because at the end of the day it’s a lesson learned. And being mad only hurts you not the person you are mad at.
  1. Time Is Precious- We are always in such a rush to do things and or get something done. Having my dog around reminds me to slow down. I notice when we take walks he will stop and sniff, or look up at the sky. Yes he has motive, but he gets me to do the same. Look at my surroundings and take it all in. Try taking time out to stop and smell the roses.
  1. A Closed Mouth Don’t Get Fed - I’m no dog whisperer so when my dog is hungry I don’t know unless he tells me. And you have to take this same approach in life. Keeping your goals to yourself doesn't’ help you. How can someone assist you in achieving them if they have know clue what it is you are trying to do? Let people know what your plans are and see how people will help you get there.

Now You: What are some habits your dog has that you can take as life lessons?


post signature

Twitter | Youtube | Instagram | Pinterest | Bloglovin
SHARE:
© Where is my mind?. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig