Friday, February 1, 2013

Hair Care Series Part Seven: My Routine

I get asked often in real life how I keep my hair so healthy while at the same time keeping it so blonde. Let me tell you; being bleached is never easy! Quick run-down of my hair history:

I started going blonde when I was about 15, with some highlights and foils at the hairdresser. I did this for about 2-3 years, until my lovely hairdresser moved to New Zealand (and I cried and threw a tantrum; NOW who is going to do my hair!?) She did such a great job, at such a great price and I was too scared to visit another hairdresser for colouring. So I turned to packet dyes to touch up my roots and all was well in the world. This ended up also being expensive. And I wasn't that good at doing it myself and ended up with weirdo patches. J asked me why don't I just bleach it because that's cheaper and quicker. Uhm, because it's scary, that's why. 

Anyway, I'm lucky my boy experimented with colouring his hair because he's done it for me ever since. 
So if you want me to do a post about bleaching your hair let me know and I'll happily comply. 

Now onto what I do to keep it healthy:


Shampoo
I only shampoo my hair about twice a week. Shock, horror. Your hair doesn't actually need cleaning that often, and is in better condition the less you strip it of its natural oils. Who woulda thunk it? 

At the moment I'm using Lush's Seanik and I love it. It contains salt for body and volume but the nori helps soften the hair as well. The lather of this one is really creamy, which I also like because I feel it's not as harsh on my hair (although it does still contain sulfates. Blah!) 


Conditioner
Every time I re-do my roots and wash the bleach out, I immediately put on the Sckwarzkopf Ultimate Repair Anti-Damage Mask, and let that soak in for a few minutes. I've been using this product for a few years, and have repurchased it many times. This mask is great value for money and I really like the 'deep condition' I get from using it. 

For normal conditioning, I use Tresemme's Moisture Rich Conditioner (in the blue bottle). I absolutely swear by this - my hair just soaks it up and it leaves my tresses smooth and shiny. 

As a 'special treat' for my hair I'll occasionally switch it up and also use the Organix Cocoa Butter conditioner. This one actually smells like chocolate (not like synthetic chocolate) and is really good at moisturising. It is a bit expensive though, which is why I tend to only use it sporadically. If I could afford it, I would buy/use this more often. 



Treatments
I am still loving Loreal's Elvive Extraordinary Oil and have done an entire review on it: here. So go check that out.
I've been trying out the Davroe Smooth Senses Straightening Balm when I blow dry my hair and I think it's doing a pretty good job at taming fly-aways.

For more info and general rambling, check out my video below.
Just a warning though that not only do I have chronic bitchface in the thumbnail, but I was slightly distracted that day - so not my best work. The general message still gets across though.


What are your holy grail hair products? How often do you wash your hair?

post signature

Twitter | Youtube | Instagram | Pinterest | Hellocotton | Bloglovin
SHARE:
© Where is my mind?. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig