Friday, June 27, 2014

Fitness Friday: Leg Day

I do a lot of upper body work-outs, because of pole. So it's really important for me to include a specified routine in my workout regime that targets my legs.
I normally warm up with a brisk 15 minute walk on the treadmill. I hate running on the treadmill, it just feels really unnatural for me (I'm sure I'll get there one day), so for now I walk at 6.5-7km/h on a really high incline (usually starting at 2% incline, moving up to 10% by the end).
I'll then gently stretch it out a little, and then carry on with the below:


For the first set of 10 reps of each exercise I will 'warm up' through the range of motion, by starting at a lower weight. 
If you're  not sure what weight you should be starting out on, the basic rule is that you should be able to do 8-10 reps. The 10th rep should be really difficult. If you can do more than 10 reps, the weight is too light for you. If you can't get to 8, then the weight's too heavy. Of course, at all times, you need to be aware of your form. So if you can get to 10 reps, but your form is failing, then the weight is also too heavy, so dial it down a little. 

I personally currently lift: 1 set of 10 reps 20kg squats; then 2 sets of 10 reps at 25kg squats. 
1 set of 10 reps 15 kg deadlifts; then 2 sets of 10 reps 20 kg deadlifts.
For weighted lunges, I use 7 kg dumbbells.
For both the hamstring curl and leg extensions, I do 39kg. 

Rest for a minute in between each set. 

For detailed information on how to perform each exercise, check out these instructional videos:
(I'm not affiliated with this guy at all, but these videos are what I used to learn to do these exercises. Sharing is caring. It's a good idea to have someone check your form, and have a spotter if you're new to these. A personal trainer is awesome. Otherwise, start with light weights (5kg for eg) and film yourself, so you can double check your form.) 


I use the machine for hamstring curls / leg extensions, so if you're not sure how to do them, most machines have little diagram pictures, otherwise ask someone at the gym! 

And that's my whole leg routine! Let me know if you have any questions or if I missed anything out, or let me know what you'd like to see next! 


post signature

Twitter | Youtube | Instagram | Pinterest | Bloglovin
SHARE:
© Where is my mind?. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig