Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Organisation Tips: Bathroom Drawers!

Our bathroom has absolutely zero storage in it. So when we moved in, we put in some old desk drawers to go under the sink. Not ideal, but it works for the moment. Or at least until we move.

I didn't really have an organisational system in place, and over time, the top drawer ended up being a dumping ground for everything and anything. Last weekend I decided I was completely over it and cleaned and re-organised.

Our bathroom is really cramped, so the first thing I did was take all the drawers out into my living room so I had some more space to work with. After I snapped the below photo I literally took all the products out. I laid everything on the floor and loosely grouped everything into categories. I'm very much a visual person so with this method I could work out the best way to store everything.


So this is what I was working with. From left to right, is top drawer, middle drawer and bottom drawer.
I decided that these drawers were going to be a place for excess product storage.
Here are the before and afters:

TOP DRAWER:


Before

The top drawer was the most convenient for me to throw things in that I use often, so I kept this in mind when deciding what to place in this drawer. I'm at my laziest at night time, when I just want to brush my teeth and jump into bed. I also have a lot of excess 'skincare' product, and so decided to dedicate this drawer accordingly. 

After

I didn't use drawer dividers for this one as all the products in here are bulky or in their own packaging anyway. I kept my toothbrush on top, closest to the front and the cotton buds in easy reach. Products I reach for less frequently were stored closer to the back. The great thing about these drawers though is that they aren't too deep so I'm not going to forget that I have things and never use them. 

MIDDLE DRAWER:

Before

This drawer is a little further out of the way than the top one, so it literally became a dumping ground for things I couldn't be bothered dealing with. Empty packets were thrown in here for later blog posts (I've never even done an empties post in my life), as well as other random bits and bobs. (You never know when you'll need some spare toothbrushes or extra gloves!) Knowing how I currently use this drawer, I decided to base it loosely around the same principle. 

After

This drawer became the place to store extra make-up and other misc items. Extra waxing strips and razors went in here, as did bottles for bath soak (I don't even have a bath....sigh) I used the packaging from an old Bellabox to keep smaller make-up items in and placed these towards the back. These are items that I don't use often enough to warrant having them in with all my other make up. Poor neglected eye shadows...

BOTTOM DRAWER:

Before

This drawer stored exactly what it looks like - extra make up bags and bits and bobs. This drawer is the most inconvenient for me to use, y'know having to bend down and all. So I've now kept all travel related beauty items in here. 
After

This drawer now not only houses all my travel bags, but also any travel sized containers. This way, when I do need to pack to head off somewhere everything is in this one place. Too easy! 

So far this system is working really well for me. Everything now has a home and I know exactly where to find things. Once things are in this state I'm quite good at putting things back where they belong so this will be an easy system for me to maintain; especially when I'm bleary eyed and ready for bed. 
The most important thing to keep in mind when re-organising a space in your house is how you use the space currently, and what you can do to make it not only more efficient, but easy to use without thinking about it. 

How do you organise your bathroom drawers? Anyone else cursed with absolutely zero space? What are YOUR tips?

post signature

Twitter | Youtube | Instagram | Pinterest | Hellocotton | Bloglovin
SHARE:
© Where is my mind?. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig